Saturday, July 5, 2014

Quilt finish for my new baby niece



I just finished this adorable quilt in time for my mom to give to my niece. I wish I could give it to my niece in person, not that she'd know, but we live too far away for that. I thought it would be kind of neat to give her a quilt that was coordinating to her older sister's quilt but not a copy. I had some left over Buttercup charm squares from that quilt plus another mini charm pack of the same line. That was my base and then I pulled from my stash and only bought one additional mini charm pack of Mirabelle from Fig Tree. Extra quilter bonus points to me! ;-)








The back is a big four patch. It's the biggest four patch I've ever made! The binding is the leftover scraps of these two prints. It is my first scrappy binding.

Quilt details:

Pattern: Boxed In from Skip the Borders by Julie Herman (A little note: mini charm packs work great with this pattern!) I used very similar fabrics to hers. It was just fate! I had already planned to make a quilt for my niece out of these fabrics and had a bunch of 2.5'' squares to use. I was flipping through my books, saw that pattern and the rest is history.

Fabrics: all stash! Most fabrics are Buttercup, Fresh Cottons and Mirabelle from Fig Tree fabrics but the woven stripes are Poetry from April Cornell. The brown is the little dragonfly fabric from Hushabye from Tula Pink. That pop of dark twinkles across the quilt. Some of the fabrics used have been sitting in my stash for over 10 years. Yikes!

Quilting: Susan Santistevan of Modern Prairie Quilting did the overlapping bubbles quilting on it. The round quilting looks great with the square patchwork.

No comments :